Monday, May 25, 2015

Sv. Spas: When A Village Throws A Party

          This past week we had a special celebration here in Macedonia, St. Spas.  St. Spas is a religious celebration that's village specific.  So for some places it's a big deal and others it isn't. Well in my village it's a very big deal.
          Daniella and I had talked about what it was like so I knew we'd go late, dance, chat, mingle and stay late.  Which is exactly what we did.  I've been thinking of what it felt like and the best I can come up with was that it had the atmosphere of a state fair but the intimacy of a local high school football game.  As you'll see in the pictures and videos, EVERYONE, from my village was there.  It was quite the festival.  

We parked a good .25 mile away and walked up to the church.

I walked in and thought, "Whoa, this is a big deal."

Right when got the there the dancing started. Of course I jumped in.

This is the first time I've seen venders in my village. We don't even have a restaurant or cafe. 
My neighbors.

Yes, that is a water cooler of white wine. Did I mention it was a party?

          The next morning I went back to the church with my coworkers for lunch.  

At noon the Bishop and Mayor lead the procession into and around the church.
There wasn't a sermon just the act of going around the church three times.
It was quite ornate.
The bishops and priests were led by the youth of Lakocerej and followed by the adults.
Now you see why it feels so similar to Appalachia for me.  
This is the most well maintained structure in the entire village. 
Svetan and his sister were shooting bb's. No I didn't tell him he'd shoot his eye out but to not miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment